As I sat in my house for five long days, snowed in by one of the biggest storms Virginia has had in history, I decided that it would be a good time to start getting my spring-cleaning plan together. Detoxing and cleansing the body are popular trends, especially this time of year, so it makes sense to also cleanse our home and purge all the dirt and toxins built up over the winter season.
When cleaning your home, what products do you reach for? Many people understandably grab the bleach because it’s powerful and will kill anything in its path. But I’d like to invite you to take some time and consider the risks involved in using such a dangerous and unnecessary product.
Bleach is as much of a toxin as it is a cleaner. Here are just a few of the known hazards:
- Respiratory Issues
- Skin Burns
- Damage to the Nervous System
- Exacerbates Asthma
- Accidental Ingestion
- Linked to Cancer
So why are we still using it?
Bleach is inexpensive and effective at killing germs and infectious disease when used properly. But are you using it properly? Bleach must be diluted and it cannot be combined with other known cleaners like ammonia, vinegar or other acids. Not following these strict and often confusing guidelines can permeate the air in your household with potentially carcinogenic fumes.
However, even when you do follow the directed safety standards, you’re still exposing yourself and the air around you to its harmful effects. Just diluting the bleach can irritate your skin, eyes and even your lungs. It’s also important to point out that young children are at much greater risk from breathing bleach vapors simply because their lungs are still developing.
Did you know that the average home contains about 10 gallons of synthetic chemical products? The indoor air quality of your home can become hazardous simply because of the fumes associated with these cleaning products. The International Agency for Research on Cancer and the World Health Organization have concluded that 80% of all cancers are attributed to environmental rather than genetic factors. This finding includes exposure to carcinogenic chemicals, many of which are found in household cleaning products.
The concluding research I discovered was enough to cause me concern and I started to rethink my cleaning strategy. I started asking myself how I could even sleep at night knowing that using these unnecessary products could potentially cause my family to become sick. Switching out those harmful—albeit convenient, chemicals to a safer and just as effective alternative was a simple and easy choice for me. If I did it, you can do it too!
Look, if bleach was the only option for cleaning and disinfecting our home, it might be worth the risk to our health but there are safer products available. Living right here in Winchester, Virginia, I’d love the opportunity to talk with you and share the safe and environmentally friendly products I now use to clean my own home. Connect with me to find out about all of the upcoming workshops I have planned.
Enjoy this? Use the form on the right side of the page to sign up for our newsletter and receive a FREE ebook containing ten quick and easy—and most importantly, healthy—recipes you’ll adore! Each month afterward, you’ll receive new recipes and information that will help you get your life started in a healthy direction (or keep you on track, if you’ve already gotten the ball rolling)!
Jill Edlich is a mom of 7 children in a blended family who works as a Realtor and a Shaklee distributor. When she’s not working, philanthropy has become yet another one of her passions. Helping in every way possible to build her community. Originally from New Jersey, she decided to move out of the hustle and bustle, and into the rolling hills of the Shenandoah Valley. She currently resides in Winchester, Virginia. Jill has become passionate about health, nutrition, and a clean lifestyle and believes that this passion can be contagious. Jill has 1 dog, 1 chinchilla, and 12 chickens at her home and hopes to grow her animal family as much as she can. Horses are next on her list.